Data Protection Spotlight for: Marketers
In today's Information Economy, sales and marketing activities are increasingly data-driven.
Whether it is the selection of marketing lists from a list broker, or the tracking of email opening and click throughs, running competitions by SMS or email, or the use of Social Media to engage with customers, marketers have an increasingly broad array of tools to engage with prospects and harvest data about them and their interaction with your brand or your client's brand.
However this brings with it the inherent risk of breaching the trust that the consumer places in you or your clients to manage their data with care and respect.
This one day course gives learners an rapid fire run through of the rules, principles, risks, and teaches some approaches and tools for nipping problems in the bud.
About the Course
This tutorial has been developed to provide a practically focussed and solutions-oriented learning experience for marketers who want to improve their understanding of what is required to meet obligations under the Data Protection Acts.
Learners will be given a crash course in the basic Data Protection Principles, the ePrivacy Regulations, Data Retention requirements, and other Regulatory considerations for Marketing, in particular electronic marketing. Reference will also be made to some of the provisions of the forthcoming EU Regulation on Data Protection.
The bulk of the tutorial will then focus on a range of practical considerations for Marketers. The subject matter in these sections will be based on Data Protection Commissioner Case studies or actual examples of issues that Castlebridge Associates has encountered when working on behalf of clients on Data Protection projects:
- Data Management and Data Quality Principles for Consent - making sure your organisation avoids common mistakes.
- Marketing by Email: Implications of the ePrivacy regulations over and above the questions of Consent.
- Marketing to mobile phones and smart phones - pitfalls, guidance, and opportunties
- Using Social Media for Marketing - outline of potential Data Protection pitfalls.
- Cookies: Understanding them and an outline of practical steps to Compliance with the Regulations.
- Marketing to Children - how to establish good and robust practices in your organisation
- Using Process mapping to brainstorm Privacy Impacts and how to avoid them/mitigate them.
- Common mistakes with Privacy Statements
- Data Protection considerations for postal mail marketing.
Learners will be asked prior to the session to submit other topic areas of concern or interest to them for inclusion in the tutorial so each session will be unique to that group.
Preferred Entry Level
This tutorial is aimed at Marketing professionals and technologists working in support of marketing teams. Attendees should have at least six consecutive months of work experience in the field, and ideally should be engaged in marketing activies on a daily basis for some time.
People new to Marketing, in particular digital marketing, are advised not to attend this tutorial.
Price: €300 per person (Discounts available for members of certain professional bodies and for organisations willing to host public courses and for in-house delivery)
This tutorial will initally be delivered as an on-site classroom based tutorial. On-line tutorial is in development.
Opportunities for Further learning
Attendees at this tutorial may chose to pursue more in-depth Data Protection training in the form of our Managing Information Quality for Data Protection course.