Data Protection Essentials for Start-Ups
Starting a business? Working hard to get your vision built and grow your revenue streams? Have an idea for a new product or service which you are sure will change the world? Are you factoring Data Protection Compliance into your master plan?
The Data Protection Acts and associated legislation create a number of duties and obligations that need to be met by any organisation which is processing personal data. On the other hand, the same rules can create opportunities for you to differentiate yourself from your competitors. It is important for start-ups to understand where the pitfalls are, how to avoid them, and how to spot opportunities for your business model.
About the Course
This tutorial has been developed to provide a practically focussed and solutions-oriented learning experience for marketers who want to improve their understanding of what is required to meet obligations under the Data Protection Acts and associated legislation.
Learners will be given a crash course in the basic Data Protection Principles, the ePrivacy Regulations, Data Retention requirements, and other Regulatory considerations for Marketing, in particular electronic marketing. Reference will also be made to some of the provisions of the forthcoming EU Regulation on Data Protection.
The bulk of the tutorial will then focus on a range of practical considerations for Start-Ups. The subject matter in these sections will be based on Data Protection Commissioner Case studies or actual examples of issues that Castlebridge Associates has encountered when working on behalf of clients on Data Protection projects:
- Data and your Business Idea - Identifying what kind of data you will be processing in your Cunning Plan!
- Data Management and Data Quality Principles for Consent - making sure your organisation avoids common mistakes.
- Registration Requirements - how to identify if you need to register with the DPC and what is involved.
- Testing your Business Idea and processes: Privacy Impact Assessments for Start-Ups
- Marketing and Data Protection Rules - some basic guidelines.
- Cookies: Understanding them and an outline of practical steps to Compliance with the Regulations.
- Penalties - Understanding what the worst is that could happen and assessing the impact on your business
- Planning for Compliance - Integrating Data Protection planning into your Business plan and planning activities.
- Data Security - basics you need to think of, and the Data Security Code of Practice.
Learners will be asked prior to the session to submit other topic areas of concern or interest to them for inclusion in the tutorial so each session will be unique to that group.
Preferred Entry Level
This tutorial is aimed at Start-Ups and early-stage companies and is intended to provide a basic skill set and capability for learners to evaluate basic Data Protection risks
Price: €300 per person (Discounts available for members of certain professional bodies, Enterprise Ireland Clients, or CEB clients, and for organisations willing to host public courses and for in-house delivery)
This tutorial will initally be delivered as an on-site classroom based tutorial. On-line tutorial is in development.
Opportunities for Further learning
Attendees at this tutorial may chose to pursue more in-depth Data Protection training in the form of our Managing Information Quality for Data Protection course.